Friday 22 July 2011

CLEAN

I’ve been asked on numerous occasions what I thought of the third Transformers movie (Dark of the Moon) after I went to go watch it a fortnight ago.

For me, it was the crushing blow. The Michael Bay interpretation of Transformers has given me a headache I will never forget. Dark of the Moon (2011) was an impressive, yet busy ‘more than meets the eye’ fighting robot experience; but once again full of irrelevant and random silliness that was an unwelcome ingredient of the previous two films. And that was just the start.

To its credit, the Bay Trilogy has made Hasbro a lot of money and delivered commercial success again to the Transformers brand. The Bay Trilogy had also imagined skilfully what Transformers might look like if they were real beyond fiction. The ‘ugly’ designs actually grew on me a bit. However, the bad really outweighs the good in the case of this movie trio.

This structured portrayal of Transformers is so wrong on many accounts. In a nutshell; the attitude, characters, storylines and general execution are all just done badly. What I feel should have been a family series of films has turned out to be something unnecessarily smutty, sinister, air-headed and masochistic. Since when was the heroic Optimus Prime a merciless cold-blooded killer? 

I feel that many have accepted this version of Transformers because it is simply there and there is no silver screen alternative (yet). In short, I think many have just ‘made do’ and made the best of what has been offered. Beggars can’t be choosers, right?

I cannot endorse this version of Transformers, especially to children. These films are easily 15+ affairs, but the merchandise based on it is aimed at a younger market. It makes me wonder what the suits were thinking in regards to target audience. The trilogy feels like a big mess, and I am not just talking from a moral standpoint. It certainly feels like a lot of wrong choices were made in the process.

I am certainly done with this era of 'tainted' Transformers history. Here is hoping the Bayverse is a stepping stone into something better. I gave the 3 films a chance, but I feel now is the time to dismiss them. I am sure there are fans of this Transformers medium and everyone in the fandom likes what they like (and are entitled to), but I won’t own the DVDs or view any future features if they continue in its direction. I am happily washed of it all.

Hasbro and Paramount seriously should consider a clean slate.  No pun intended.

Now, Transformers: Prime! A medium with so many praises to be sung from a long term changing bot fan such as me. Stay tuned readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment